Friday 9 March 2018

Friday: Day four at the Castle



Ok so not every day on the Isle of Purbeck is blue skies and sunshine so instead of a cloudy grey shot from the castle I thought I would post one of the photographs that has got a few 'oohs' and 'aahs' from people who have visited, and the story behind it.


I’ll start with the Puffin, a bird that I am happy to admit that I have an addiction to. I have travelled to many places in order to get close to these birds because the few that stay on the Isle of Purbeck during the summer are very difficult to photograph. 


This Puffin was seen on our trip to The Shetlands last year after a trek to the most northerly point of the most northerly inhabited island in the United Kingdom. The path took us across heathland, through the nesting sites of the infamous Bonxie to cliffs high above the sea and views towards the rock stack of Muckle Flugga with its lighthouse. When we got there, it was blowing a hoolie making it difficult for us but good for the hundreds of Gannets that surfed the winds just off from the cliff edge. The Gannet was one of the other birds that I had come here to photograph but there was a hint of disappointment that there were no Puffins. We sat on an outcrop just above the cliff edge, opened a flask of coffee, watched the skies and the sea far below. It was then that a Puffin appeared from a hole in the ledge we were sitting on and walked between my legs before flying off to find food. We moved back a little and waited a little longer before this one returned with a bill full of fish and disappeared below ground and out of sight.
For me it is impossible to see these wonderful little birds without smiling! 




No comments:

Quiet but never silent.

I missed the Sun this morning, not because I was late but because the early wander was done and dusted by the time the clouds cleared. When...