Wednesday 4 April 2018

And the Robin Still Sings.


Rain is important, we know that and without rain our green and pleasant land would be a whole lot less green and pleasant. That being said the last few days have given us more than our fair share of the wet stuff and for many it has all become pretty tiresome. Many of my walks have been without the camera as, although it proudly yells of being water resistant, I don’t intend to find out just how water resistant. Wherever I go the ‘dry’ paths are wet and the wet paths are rivers, grass has turned into swamp and when you need grip there is none to be found. Mud is everywhere except where puddles have taken over and even then mud is hiding beneath the water ready to engulf an unwary boot.
So tonight, as there was a trace of blue in an otherwise cloudy sky I went off for a wander knowing that although my boots would get wet, my coat wouldn’t. With a soundtrack made up of a Robin singing his heart out and new lambs calling from the fields I walked towards the setting Sun hoping that low clouds coming from the sea didn’t drop any further. In the distance a Roe deer crossed the path, too far away for a photograph and I wasn’t going to get any closer so I paused and watched. It was then that a muddy brown lump in the grass caught my eye and I was pleased to see it turn into a Hare just before it headed off.
On the way back the clouds did drop a little and it was clear that this was not going to be an evening for photographs, but it was good to get out.
The air was clear and calm and it was good to see that despite the rain, the world still turns and the Robin still sings.


No comments:

Quiet but never silent.

I missed the Sun this morning, not because I was late but because the early wander was done and dusted by the time the clouds cleared. When...