Saturday 16 June 2018

Recognition


There can be no doubt that if you spend enough time with a wild animal a relationship, of sorts, can build up and the animal will recognise you. I get this sometimes with the deer and the Foxes that I spend time with summer, if I’m lucky. After a winter of no contact though memories fade and so do the chances of a reunion with an old friend. So it is strange that when I return to a favourite place in the hope of finding my Foxes, I feel a real sadness that I can’t resume our friendship where we left off the previous year.
This all sounds pretty stupid but I know what I mean!
Anyway, the other evening I was walking along a very familiar path thinking just these thoughts when a Fox appeared from the long grass. I stopped of course and raised the camera. The Fox looked at me but didn’t seem phased, she continued on her way until she looked at me again, then stopped sharply and sat down.
After a very short while, far too short really, she got up and walked back in to the shelter of the long grass, the moment was gone.
Now there is no way of knowing what was going through her mind but it would be nice to think that she remembered me, if only a little.




No comments:

Quiet but never silent.

I missed the Sun this morning, not because I was late but because the early wander was done and dusted by the time the clouds cleared. When...